Visas for Foreign Husbands of Indonesian Women

Monday, 11 August 2008 00:00

KITAS and 12 Months Sosbud Visa: Visas for Foreign Husbands of Indonesian Women

There are many married couples in Indonesia where either the wife or husband is foreigner and the spouse is Indonesian. Indonesian government regulations do not treat these two circumstances in the same manner. Almost all the regulations that apply to foreign wives of Indonesian men are very different that those that apply to foreign husbands of Indonesian women, few similarities can be found between the two circumstances.

The basis for the difference is treatment seems to be related to the issue of working. Foreign wives of Indonesian husbands are assumed by the Indonesian government to be housewives and mothers. Foreign husbands of the Indonesian women are assumed to be looking for a job. The Indonesian government treats these two cases very differently.

Under the new law, that conditions are no longer exist. Indonesian wife nowadays can sponsor her husband to obtain KITAS (Kartu Ijin Tinggal Terbatas/Limited Stay Visa). This new type of KITAS is not popular yet. But still, the foreign husband is not allowed to engage with formal employment with the Indonesian company.

The following are the type of stay permit visa that suitable to your personal conditions:

KITAS (Kartu Ijin Tinggal Terbatas/Limited Stay Card)

In order to entile KITAS, you must employed by the Indonesian company. This visa allows the holder to work and stay in Indonesian for one year. The basis in issuing this visa is IMTA (Ijin Mempekerjakan Tenaga Asing/Foreign Employment License) issued by the Ministry of Manpower. Upon receipt this license, Directorat General of Immigration in turn will issue VITAS (Visa Ijin Tinggal Sementara/Limited Stay Visa). The VITAS can be obtained at any nominated Embassy of Indonesia abroad.

Upon receipt of VITAS, you are allowed to enter Indonesia. KITAS must be applied at the local immigration office having jurisdiction over your residence. Other documents must be obtained, among others are Buku Pengawasan Orang Asing (Alien Registration Book), Surat Tanda Melaporkan Diri (Self Report Police Certificate), and Surat Keterangan Tempat Tinggal (Domicile Letter).

As a KITAS holder, you're entitle to almost everything (except vote!) such as local driving license, you can even allowed open a bank account ( if you wish to open a joint account with your wife), and among others, you are also entitle to the same flag tarrif at the hotel that usually offered to any local Indonesians.

If you have engaged employment with the Indonesian company, you don't have to worry about all this hassles. They will take care of these documents for you.

But if you wish your wife to be your sponsor to obtain a spousal sponsorship KITAS, the same procedures are applied, except you are not required to get an employment approval from the Ministry of Manpower. You can go directly apply to the Immigration Head Office and upon receipt of completed supporting documents, they will issue an approval of Limited Stay Visa. You can collect the visa at any Indonesian Embassy abroad, then you can enter Indonesia.

The same thing like the working KITAS, you must get the KITAS Card from the local immigration office. It is recommended for you to report to the Police Headquarters as a registered alien. You will then receive a SKLD (Surat Keterangan Lapor Diri/Self Reporting Police Certificate). The SKLD will be useful for application to obtain Indonesia's Police Clerance Certificate. Police Clearance Certificate are required in the event you wish to migrate to other country such as Canada or United States.

Also for the purpose of population administration, go apply for SKPPS (Surat Keterangan Pendaftaran Penduduk Sementara/Temporary Resident Certificate) from the Civil Registry Office. This is very useful when you are applying KITAP (Kartu Ijin Tetap/Permanent Stay Permit) Card which valid for five (5) years. KITAP can be obtained after you hold KITAS for three (3) years continuously.

Our Indonesian law firm has assisted foreigners who married to Indonesian women to obtain KITAS under Indonesian wife sponsorship. Feel free to send inquiry email, once we received completed supporting documents, our Indonesian lawyer will initiate the process with the Directorate General of Immigration in Jakarta. We will also assist you  after your enter Indonesia.

Multiple Entry Social Cultural (Sosbud) Visa: 12 Months Validity

This is the new visa issued under the New Citizenship Law, effective since Jun. 26, 2006. The visa is suitable to foreign husband who does not have any employment with the Indonesian company. The official visa name is Visa Kunjungan Beberapa Kali Perjalanan (Multiple Entry Social Cultural Journey Visa). It valids for one year. You are allowed to stay maximum 60 days for each visit. This visa will only require one time application for each year.

Your wife can the sponsor for this visa. She must signs two sponsorship letter and fill-in Form  Model 13 VIS-K. The telex approval must first be obtained at the Directorate General of Immigration in Jakarta, to collect the visa at any nominated Indonesian embassy abroad.

Supporting Documents

Prior to obtain the telex approval for your 12 Months Sosbud Visa, you must first submit the following supporting documents:

  1. Photograph size 4 x 6 cm in red background;
  2. Copy of your passport;
  3. Copy of your marriage certificate/marriage book;
  4. Copy of your Indonesian wife's ID Card;
  5. Copy of your Indonesian wife's Family Card (Kartu Keluarga);
  6. Sponsorship Letter signed by your wife;
  7. Copy of your bank statements;
  8. Fill-in Form Model 13 VIS K.

The telex approval will be send to your wife and you can bring the copy to the nominated Indonesian embassy abroad to pick-up the visa.

At the Indonesian embassy abroad, you will be requested to fill-in Visa Application Form for Visit - Single/Several Journey(s). Choose "Several" instead of ''Single''. At the ''Purpose of Visit to Indonesia'' Section, please do not conflicting between choice number "10-Social'' and number ''15-Family Visit''.

The number 15 is for family member when you have a family in Indonesia and you visit them in Indonesia with their sponsorship. The number 10 is for non-family members, such as, if you have an Indonesian girlfriend, and you want to visit her in Indonesia under her sponsorship.

As one of Indonesian legal services working for immigration cases, we will assist you before you enter and after you enter Indonesia and to make sure you given proper legal advise for your situations.


Our thanks to Asep Wijaya, Managing Director of Wijaya & Co for sharing this information with us!


My name is Asep Wijaya. I am an attorney. This article is about my works in the field of law I have been doing regarding legal issues in international civil law in Indonesia. You may use my articles without permission as long as you mention my name, the article tile, and our website address.

Thank you for reading my posts.

This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

© 2023. All Rights Reserved